Director of Architecture
Viber is one of the most popular apps in the world and the most downloaded app that came out of the start-up nation. Working at Viber provides the unique opportunity to influence hundreds of millions of people with our messaging app.
We’re looking for a highly motivated Director of Architecture that will head our growing team of elite architects that provide solutions, design, POC’s and guidance for all of Viber’s R&D teams. This is a highly influential senior role that has a significant impact on the technological decisions and roadmap of the company.
Viber services are all cloud-native and utilize the latest cutting-edge cloud services. As the Director of Architecture, you will have a huge influence (and responsibility) over a planetary scale service spread across thousands of servers around the globe generating petabytes of data, utilizing NoSQL databases performing millions of operations per second.
*We’re implementing a hybrid work-model:)
- Manage a team of architects, including hiring, training, mentoring, and task management, alongside hands-on architecture
- Be responsible for the team’s professional knowledge and level, design quality in all aspects
- Coordinate, design, and document complex inter-team R&D projects
- Collaborate with dev teams, product, DevOps, IT, and security specialists to ensure solutions provide optimal architecture, scale, high availability, security, and cost optimization.
- Plan and build POCs and solutions to analyze complex technical and customer requirements and to determine appropriate solutions as necessary
- Research, design, and advocate new technologies, cloud services, and architectures that will support the continued requirements of the organization, business partners, and vendors
- Function as a technical expert, technical advisor, and technical influencer
- Manage multiple priorities and tasks in a dynamic work environment
- 2+ years as a senior manager (CTO, R&D group manager, Chief Architect or Director of Architecture)
- 5+ years as a solutions/system/cloud/enterprise architect
- 8+ years experience in software development
- Proven experience with cloud environments (AWS/GCP/Azure)
- Experience in complex large scale systems
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Experience with big data technologies & pipelines
- Experience with microservices, K8s & CI/CD pipelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving abilities
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently while being accountable
- Strong interpersonal and customer care skills
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related fields; or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages (Java, C++, Node.js, Python, etc.)
- Couchbase NoSQL database
- Serverless technologies
- VoIP/WebRTC technologies
- Deep understanding of Linux network and OS internals
- Understanding of Machine Learning and Deep Learning concepts and technology
- In-depth knowledge of cryptography and security